What is Web App?
A web app, or web application is a computer program that utilizes web browsers and web technology to perform tasks over the Internet.
A web application is a client-server program. It means that it has a client-side and a server-side. The term “client” here refers to the program the individual uses to run the application. It is part of the client-server environment, where many computers share information.
How a Web App Works?
All you need to access a web app is an internet connection. You use a web browser like Safari, Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome to connect to your app. There are three elements the web application requires to function: a web server to handle requests from the client, an application server to execute the tasks requested and a database to store the information.
What are the Advantages of Web App?
- Cross platform compatibility – Most web based applications are far more compatible across platforms than traditional installed software. Typically the minimum requirement would be a web browser of which there are many. So whether you use Windows, Linux or Mac OS you can still run the web application.
- More manageable – Web application development systems need only be installed on the server placing minimal requirements on the end user workstation. Maintaining and updating the system is much simpler, client updates can be deployed via the web server with ease.
- Secure live data – Larger and complex systems carry more data and have separate systems and data sources. In web based systems these systems and processes can often be consolidated by reducing the need to have separate systems. Web based applications provide an added layer of security by removing access to the data and back end servers.
- Lower costs – One can dramatically lower costs with the help of Web based applications due to reduced support and maintenance, lower requirements on the end user system and simplified architecture. By further streamlining your business operations as a result of your web based application additional savings can often be found.
What about Progressive Web Apps (PWAs)?
Web Apps (PWAs) are a new standard that aims to improve the performance of your website regardless of device or network condition.
PWAs are web-based applications that use the emerging technologies for providing the users with an application-like experience on a web browser itself. In simple words, these are web applications with the UX and feel of a mobile application. So a user can experience-the app-without installing anything.
Benefits of PWA
- Wider reach, as web apps are accessible everywhere
- No app store requirement, with PWAs as you can deploy or update your application without having to yield to any app store service
- PWAs make browsing fast for users
Whether you want to develop a website or a web app, you need a reliable development partner like XANTEC who can understand your business needs and provide the best possible solutions.
Free, no-obligation consultation.
Need help to create an eCommerce store using Magento, Woocommerce, or Shopify?Let's Talk Business